10 reasons to love life in Ecuador
1.- unrivaled Diversity
Ecuador occupies an area of 256,370 km ² and is divided in four distinct regions that range from the topographical diversity of the Amazon to the natural wonder and cultures of the Andes; to the ecological beaches along the pacific Coast to the legendary Galapagos Islands. These are the unique 4 world of Ecuador.
The country accounts for the largest biodiversity in the world per square kilometer.
2.- The Galápagos Islands and other travel destinations within Ecuador declared as world heritage sites by UNESCO
The Galápagos Islands, 1000 km from the main land, are within the Ecuadorian territory boundaries and are located in the Galápagos National Park. In 1978, this Archipelago was declared a World Natural Heritage Site. Other places that have been recognized by UNESCO are the cites of Quito and Cuenca, Sangay Natural Park. UNESCO has also recognized the traditions and language of the Zaparos` Nation and the Marine Reserve of the Galápagos Islands.
3.- Endless options for adventure
Only in Ecuador can you scale the highest active volcano in the world (Cotopaxi, 5,897 m); navigate along the rivers of the Amazon; cross the equatorial line by horseback; surf in the Pacific Ocean; visit pre-inca archaeological sites, and swim side by side with penguins, sharks, iguanas and sea lions. All these adventures can be experienced in just one trip!
4.- Genuine Cultural Experiences
There are 13 distinct indigenous nationalities that inhabit within Ecuador´s borders, and each asserts its unique cultural identity. Some of them, especially in the Amazon Region, have had little contact with the modern world and maintain the cosmo-visionary traditions of their ancestors. Ecuadorians are very proud of their culture, and are passionate about their traditions and eager to share their customs and rituals with tourists. One cannot overlook a visit to the colonial cities of Quito and Cuenca which were declared World Cultural Heritage Sites.
5.- A model of sustainable tourism
Ecuador has made environmental conservation and sustainable tourism development a priority. The country is drafting a master plan of sustainable tourism that will allow the implementation of measures to establish a sustainable infrastructure for the tourism industry that will ensure the conservation and protection of its unique ecosystems, cultures and peoples.
By traveling in Ecuador, tourists contribute to the improvement of the local economy and help accomplish te goal of the local economy and help accomplish the goal of the national government which is to become the world´s leader in sustainable tourism.
6.- To suit all tastes
Whether you plan to spend your vacation doing family activities, as a couple, with a group, as a single traveler or if you are a senior citizen, Ecuador is your destination because it offers all sorts of alternatives and choices. Form adventure traveling to ecotourism, birdwatching, agro-tourism, volunteering, history and culture, water sports, incentive trips and conventions, Spanish courses... the options are endless.
7.- Easy access
Most international airlines offer daily flights to Ecuador from North America, South America and Europe. The cities of Quito and Guayaquil possess modern international airport facilities, an efficient national public air-land transport system, a good selection of hotels and lodging facilities as well as other tourist minded services that make it easy for you to travel around the country at your convenience. Distances are always relatively short. Ecuador is a country made up of worlds that can be experienced in as little as 10 days. National flights make connections in the main cities of the country and offer a variety of flight schedules each day of the week.
8.- Safe and Friendly
Ecuadorians are honest and friendly people who are always ready to help national and international tourists find their way around the country.
Our friendly and genuine nature makes it possible for tourists to feel welcome and be treated as friend.
9.- A Climate of never ending Spring
Being situated at the Equator has its advantages! Ecuador is the ideal country to visit at any time of the year.
Ecuador enjoys springtime weather all year round; this creates the perfect conditions for the nurture and growth of its flora and fauna.
10.- An alternative option from traditional tourism
Ecuador, thanks to its rich diversity, always has something new to offer that is just waiting to be discovered.
Free from mass tourism exploitation, the country is a paradise for those who want to visit four distinct and fascinating worlds within one country and for those who wish to have a unique and authentic experience.
Top 10 reasons to visit Ecuador
When planning any vacation, the first difficult decision is that of location. There are just so many fascinating places to visit in this big world! However, there are many reasons that Ecuador should be at the top of your list. Here is our list of 10 reasons to visit Ecuador that set it apart from other destinations.
1. The Galapagos Islands – There is literally no place on Earth like the Galapagos. Due to its near total isolations and lack of human inhabitance until relatively recently, the flora and fauna of these islands have evolved in very special ways giving rise to species often not found anywhere else on Earth, such as marine iguanas, tropical penguins, giant tortoises and blue-footed boobies. In addition, the animals have not known humans as predators, and, therefore, are not frightened by people as other animals are. This means that you can observe them as up close and personal as they’ll let you.
2. Biodiversity – With 46 different ecosystems, Ecuador is one of the most biodiverse countries in the world, and not just on the Galapagos Islands, but on the mainland as well. Ecuador boasts more than 1600 bird species, which is more per kilometer than any other country in South America. In addition, Ecuador has 4,500 types of butterflies, more than 3,000 species of orchid and a total of more than 25,000 plant species, which is 10% of the world’s total. Ecuador offers plenty of opportunities to observe all of this biodiversity through national parks and ecotourism.
3. Cultural Diversity – Besides Ecuador’s biodiversity, it is very culturally diverse, as well. Approximately 65% of the population is mestizo, meaning of mixed indigenous and Spanish descent, while 25% are indigenous, and the remaining 10% are of other ethnicities, including people of African descent. There are 15 recognized indigenous groups in Ecuador, speaking 11 different languages. These groups vary greatly especially by geographic region and each has its own special customs and traditions to share.
4. Geographic Diversity – While this factor is related to biodiversity, it is not entirely the same. Ecuador is composed of four regions: Galapagos, coast, highlands, and jungle. Each region has its own climate, activities, flora, fauna, and spectacular views. This great geographic diversity packed into one country, means that in one trip to Ecuador, you can snorkel with a sea lion, lie on the beach, climb to the top of a snow-capped mountain, and canoe down a jungle river. This makes Ecuador ideal for those travelers who can’t make up their minds about where to visit next and simply want to do it all.
5. Small Size – The best things come in small packages, and this is certainly true of Ecuador as well. Not only does Ecuador have all the diversity mentioned in the previous three points, but it is packed into an area the size of the state of Nevada or the UK plus Belgium. This means that it is easy to explore all that diversity in a short amount of time and makes travel within the country quick and flexible. Larger countries with main attractions more spread out require careful planning in order to visit everything a traveler wants to. However, in Ecuador, nothing is more than a 14-hour bus ride from the capital, making flexible travel planning possible.
6. Good weather – Being on the equator, Ecuador enjoys relatively the same weather year-round. Of course, climate and temperature change between regions and altitudes, but, in general, Ecuador offers very good weather all year long. The highlands region is very temperate because it is on the equator, but at a higher altitude, giving very spring-like weather. This can at times mean rainy, but usually it is sunny. The coast and Amazon regions are much warmer, but also fairly constant throughout the year. This all means that there is never a bad time to visit Ecuador.
7. Friendly people – Ecuadorians are naturally friendly and helpful. They enjoy receiving visitors to their country and are proud that foreigners travel to Ecuador. Therefore, Ecuadorians are happy to help if you are lost or just looking for advice on where to go next and how to get there. At many of the smaller, family-run hotels and hostels, guests are treated as family and are truly looked after by the owners. When visiting Ecuador, one can really feel at home, making for a relaxing trip.
8. Experience art – Ecuador is also a great place to visit to experience art and has been for centuries. During the colonial period, the Quito School of art was a special style reflecting the mix, and clash, of cultures that occurred during colonization with clear indigenous touches added to commissioned Catholic religious works. Quito is also the birthplace of renowned artist Oswaldo Guayasamín, whose art also has a clear Latin American flair. In addition, the many artisan markets throughout Ecuador display new and ancient handicrafts made by indigenous communities.
9. Visit the equator – Ecuador is the only country that offers the opportunity to visit the site where the French Geodesic Commission first measured the equatorial line in 1735 in order to determine the circumference of the Earth. The site now hosts a monument and museum allowing visitors to touch the equator and learn about its historical significance.
10. Dollarization – In 2000, Ecuador adopted the U.S. dollar as its official currency due to extreme problems with inflation at the time. This has helped to stabilize the Ecuadorian economy and also benefits travelers, especially from the United States. If visiting from the U.S., you don’t have to worry about changing money or losing money through exchange rates. Even if traveling from another country, you are offered the security of knowing that your money is in one of the world’s main currencies and not exposed to rapid devaluation during your trip.
These are only the top reasons to visit Ecuador among a list that goes on and on. So, what are you waiting for? Come experience all that Ecuador has to offer!